Sample Technology Goals and Strategies
Adapted courtesy of Virginia Department of Education
| To integrate voice, video and data networks capable of providing communications at the school, division, and national levels.
- Conduct a survey to determine the status of network capabilities for each school division.
- Develop and distribute guidelines (standards) for building-wide networking to support voice, video, and data.
- Collaborate with agencies and institutions responsible for design and implementation of statewide and national infrastructure to assure compatibility and connections to all schools (e.g., Title III participation).
|To improve teacher and student access to technological resources in classrooms and other learning centers through equitable distribution of grants, equipment, software, and technical assistance.
- Provide a network-ready multimedia microcomputer in K-12 classrooms.
- Provide for network-ready microcomputers for classrooms to help schools achieve a 5:1 student to microcomputer ratio.
- Encourage pilot projects to permit students to check out microcomputers for home use.
- Explore and provide suitable assistive devices for special needs students.
|Establish extensive training programs and appropriate incentives for teachers to enhance teaching and learning through the use of educational technologies.
- Establish guidelines and specifications for teacher training.
- Offer incentives for each educator who completes five graduate-level hours of staff development toward recertification or endorsements.
- Expand employment of technology specialists and recommend changes in existing regulations or the creation of new endorsement provisions for professionals in educational technology.
- Use the recent work of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) to define teacher competencies in areas of instructional technology.
|Educators and administrators will have access to technologies that provide for the maintenance, reporting, and analysis of student and administrative data.
- Adopt a comprehensive, standardized software package to support student and administrative data management, analysis, and reporting.
- Study future incorporation of a classroom management system to interface with other administrative software.
|A system of ongoing evaluation will be established for assessment of technology applications, teacher preparation, and training.
- Develop tools and a consistent process of data collection that can be used to assess progress in implementing the recommendations of this plan.
- Publish biennial reports showing the assessment of annual data on technology initiatives.
Return to E-Rate Technology Plan Primer